When A Death Occurs

What To Do

When a death occurs, most people are unaware of what steps need to be taken as well as what options are available to them. The necessary steps usually depend on the location and circumstances. It is important that you understand what can be done, and at Bartley Funeral Homes, we want to ensure that you have the information you need in order to make these important decisions.

Unanticipated death at home or elsewhere

In these situations, you should immediately contact 911. At that point, police and emergency medical personnel will then determine the appropriate actions. Generally, the authorities can release the deceased directly to the funeral home, so that preparations may begin. In some situations, however, the remains may need to be taken to the Medical Examiner’s office. This can occur when the cause of death may need to be determined.

If you are not sure of who to notify or what to do, our staff will assist you in notifying the proper agencies.

If death occurs in a Facility

Should the death occur at a hospital or care home (nursing/convalescent), the professional staff will contact you and handle all necessary legal steps. You simply need to inform the staff that Bartley Funeral Home/Deckman-Bartley Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.  At that point, you will generally have to complete any legal release paperwork. The funeral director will contact you immediately following their notification to help you proceed.

Anticipated death at home

Today, more people with terminal illnesses are more comfortable at home under the care of Hospice in the final stages of their illness. In this situation, you should inform Hospice that Bartley Funeral Home/Deckman-Bartley Funeral Home is the funeral home of your choice. Hospice will then arrange the necessary legal requirements. Often, when someone is faced with a terminal illness, the family will decide to make arrangements in advance. This saves the family time and can relieve them of some of the emotional decisions needed at the time of death.

Death out-of-state

If the death occurs out of state, you should call Bartley Funeral Home/Deckman-Bartley Funeral Home. We can then coordinate the transfer with a local funeral director at the place of death. We can often save families money by making all the necessary arrangements, and we are able to make this an easy process through our resources and facilities.


This is a only a general explanation of your options in certain circumstances. We are here to help and to serve you, and we will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. If you would like further information, please feel free to call us (330-868-4114 or 330-863-0441) or email us at [email protected]